Chiro Kids Blog
“Dad can you adjust me? I’m not feeling right.”
Our kids knew when they needed an adjustment. Checked as newborns and adjusted when needed from the start, our children had chiropractic check-ups and adjustments throughout their lives.
Some people ask us if our kids had perfect spines and perfect health.
We wish! The reality was that our kids sometimes slept on their tummy, fell off trampolines, had sports injuries and slouched at their laptop or phones.
Lucky for them their chiropractor fathers would check them ASAP and the impact of any spinal strains and sprains were kept to a minimum.
The Chiropractors Board of Australia says that “Chiropractors receive extensive university education and training, including about caring for children.”
There is also plenty of evidence that chiropractic is safe for kids and some good quality evidence that we can help a number of common childhood musculo-skeletal conditions. Just read the excellent summary provided by our professional association the CAA
So what conditions can chiropractors help with children? Most kids come to chiropractors with spine, muscle, nerve and joint problems such as:
- Back and neck pain (well this is where most problems begin… in childhood!)
- Migraine – including Abdominal Migraine
- Torticollis or Wry Neck (very stiff neck)
- Postural distortions like scoliosis, round shoulders and sway back*
Here are a few tips for looking after and monitoring your children’s spines and spinal health.
Kids Chiropractic Spinal Checklist
- Limit times on electronic devices
- Watch your kid’s posture. Here’s a good article on how to check kid’s posture
- Get your kids checked today! Click here now.
- Keep schoolbags to less than 10% of their body weight
- Get your kids active. Have fun with these kids exercises
We hope that in the future kids will get their spines checked periodically or regularly just as they do for their teeth by brushing and visiting the dentist for their ‘ounce of prevention!’
It makes good sense to us! In the long run, health spines will save us all pain, time and money on a personal and community and even national level.
*For more research on conditions chiropractic may help read on International Chiropractic Paediatrics Website here.